Thursday, November 25, 2010

Backmasking

1. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
I think that backmasking was used in this song. It was a song that I could partially here backmasking in before I read the reverse lyrics. The phrase is very specific and fairly long for backmasking. It seems that there has to be some backmasking in this song.
2.…Baby One More Time Brittney Spears
I can not tell if this song is backmasking or not. It seems very clear to me when I play the lyrics in reverse that the song says “sleep with me I’m not too young”. On the other hand, it does not seem practical for Spears to backmask that into one of her songs. I would lean more towards it is backmasking, although I do not understand the purpose of it in this case.
3. My Name Is… Eminem
I do not think backmasking is in this song. Listening to it in reverse, it does not seem clear enough. The lyrics are said to say “It is Slim. It’s Eminem” but to me the words are too slurred together. I don’t even hear “Slim”, or at least not the “S”.
4. Another One Bites the Dust
I do think there is backmasking in this song. Without looking at the reverse lyrics, I could hear what they said; “it’s fun to smoke marijuana”. The words are very clear, and pronounced. It seems like a case of backmasking to me.
5. Paparazzi Lady Gaga
I do not think there is backmasking in this song. When listening to the reverse song without knowing the lyrics I heard nothing but a song played in reverse. When I looked at the lyrics and listened to the song, I heard some of the supposed backmasking, but not all of it. I think it was just over-analyzed, and there is no backmasking.
6. Work It Missy Elliot
I do think there is backmasking in this song. She is pretty much telling you to reverse the song in the lyrics. Then. When you reverse the song it says the same thing backwards. It seems very intentional.
7. This Life I Lead Tupac Shakur
I don’t think there is back masking in this song. I can here the “yes I’m alive and I’m missing you”, but I think it’s just a coincidence. I don’t see the point of him putting it in the song, at that point. Obviously he is dead now, and maybe he knew he was going to die, but I think that’s unlikely.
8. Imagine John Lennon
I do not think this song contains backmasking. When listening to the reverse lyrics, without knowing what they say, I hear nothing. When I looked at the lyrics I still really did hear anything. It is suppose to say “The people war beside me”. That doesn’t even make much sense, so why would you bother backmasking it.
9. Beat It Michael Jackson
This is not backmasking. I didn’t hear the “backmasking” listening to it without looking at the lyrics, and the same looking at the lyrics. It just sounded like a song played in reverse. The words were slurred together, and I don’t think there was anything to find.
10. Kiss, Kiss, Kiss Yoko Ono
I don’t think this is backmasking. I feel like people got way too into John Lennon being supposedly “dead” from all these “clues”. I could hear the “I shot John Lennon” after I looked at what it was suppose to say and played it about ten times. But I think at that point my brain was probably helping with that. I defiantly do not think this is backmasking.

In general, I think backmasking does exist. There are some songs where is seems very clear that there is something said in reverse. On the other hand, I think people, at points, get too enthralled in finding backmasking. This results in accusations of backmasking that really are not there. Backmasking does exist, just not as much as people presume.

No comments:

Post a Comment